Pharmacognosy is the study of medicinal drugs derived from plants or other natural sources. Pharmacognosy is "the study of the physical, chemical, biochemical and biological properties of drugs, drug substances, potential drugs or drug substances of natural origin as well as the search for new drugs from natural sources”. It is also defined as the study of crude drugs. Pharmacognosy covers the following areas.-
- Medical Ethnobotany: The study of the traditional use of plants for medicinal purposes.
- Ethnopharmacology: The study of the pharmacological qualities of traditional medicinal substances.
- The study of Phytotherapy (The medicinal use of plant extracts).
- Phytochemistry, the study of chemicals derived from plants (including the identification of new drug candidates derived from plant sources).
- Marine Pharmacognosy, the study of chemicals derived from marine organisms.
Meet our Team